(Tickets available here) “Craft” may have become an overloaded word in American whiskey, but it represents something exciting for whiskey drinkers: novelty. In the year 2000, there were only a few dozen distilleries making bourbon in the United States. Today, that number has exploded to over a thousand. Bourbon is experiencing a renaissance, rye has come back from the dead and American single malt is finding a foothold driven by pioneers like Westland and Triple Eight. But, not all craft whiskey is what it seems and mega-distillers like Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill have a major roll in craft as well.
In this whiskey class, Nick and Zach Taylor will help you navigate the American whiskey landscape, while sampling some exceptional and hard-to-find American whiskeys including:
- Bully Boy American Straight Whiskey
- Berkshire Mountains Bourbon
- WhistlePig 10yr Rye Whiskey
- Westland American Single Malt Whiskey
- Eagle Rare 10yr Single Barrel (NW&S store pick private barrel)
- Four Roses Single Barrel OBSF 8yr 7 months 58.8% (special release only available in Kentucky)
- Four Rouses OESF 59.2% (special release only available at Four Roses distillery)
- Makers Mark Single Barrel 55.1% (special release only available in Kentucky)
- Willett 6yr Bourbon 61.2% (special release only available at Willett distillery)
*We are hosting a series of classes on separate dates. Each class will feature a selection of 6 whiskeys from the list above. Subject to change.
Whether you are new to whiskey or a wily veteran, this class will provide the foundation for understanding American whiskey so that you can have some “craft" in what you buy and drink.
We'll also provide some local cheese from Appleton Farms and bread from Somerville Bread Co. to munch on during class.
Saturday, January 13 from 6:30-8:00 pm
Saturday, February 17 from 6:00-7:30 pm
Sunday, March 4 from 5:30-7:00 pm
Tickets: $48 per Trustees member and $60 per nonmember. Members must bring their current member card and number. Join The Trustees and save! Members save between 20-40% off all classes in The KITCHEN.